Well, you guessed it, we have moved again! This may come as a shock to some I know =), but to others who have known, this is just a travel log. I guess I will start out at the beginning. Jake worked for a new start-up security company last year, Sound Security. We thought this was a chance of a life time opportunity for growth and change, and a sure way of staying in Rexburg for a long time. For those of you that know how the security business works, you work all year and only get payed peanuts, and then in October, comes your big check, and that is what you live on. For the past six years we have been pretty consistent with our income, and didn't really expect that to change much, so we built our home last year. After all, Jake's new job payed more and promised more, so this would be the greatest opportunity for owning a new home! Jake had his best year last year selling and managing, we were so excited for what that meant for our family. Our goal was to stay in Rexburg for as long as we could until we went and did our own thing somewhere down the road. However, October came and went, and still no check. November and December the same thing, and before you know it everything was sort of falling apart. That said, we never did get paid our year-end check. The man Jake was working for is a complete fraud, and took the money the company made and used it for his own personal well-being. He put nothing back into the company employees included. So when the other owners found out that the business was in huge amounts of debt and this man had used company money to do things like buy his wife new cars and furnish his house, the company shut its doors, leaving a lot of employees unpaid. We actually were one of the lucky ones cause we did get paid some over the summer and a little in September. Some guys were left totally hanging.
This has been such an interesting experience for our family. We had to make some really hard decisions quickly. We could either stay in Rexburg, and Jake would have to travel weekly and sell in different places and only see each other on the weekends, or, we could move somewhere where we could live and sell. There was no way I was going to be a single parent, we don't do well apart, I could see this plan failing before it even began, so we chose the second option. After doing an incredible about of praying and researching, we decided on Boise, ID. We love Idaho, and we really wanted to be close to Rexburg so we could easily access our home in Rexburg as needed. Plus, oddly enough people say it is the only place where you can ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon. The weather here is really unique, and makes it great for selling year round. We only wish it was closer to our families, thats the hardest part.
Writing this, I don't mean for it to sound like a sob story because it's not. This has been one of the most challenging things to happen to our family, and yet, honestly one of the biggest blessings we could have ever received. I think Jake and I are different people, and I think it is for the good. We have learned SO many good lessons in this experience, it wasn't about just having to move again, or not getting paid, the learning far exceeded materialistic things.. Though its been pretty difficult, and at times you think things can't possibly get worse, and then they do, but it has taught us to appreciate, and cling to the things that are most important in our lives. We have the greatest kids, and we have each other, and honestly it was just a house, we didn't lose anything we couldn't replace with time.
An added bonus is that we are really starting to love Boise! Thank goodness for tender mercies. We were really worried about Gracie and Ben, because they are old enough to realize we were leaving Rexburg for good, and that worried us a lot. Our kids have loved the good weather, and play outside everyday, and have already formed friendships with our good neighbors. We left our home in Rexburg with snow drifts up to our door only to come here and find NO snow on the ground, and we have even had a few 70 degree days! We found the cutest house to rent, in a great neighborhood, and Plus there is a lot more to do here, and that has been really fun to explore a new place, and make it our own. Ohh I forgot to mention that Jake went back to Pinnacle which was his previous employer before this whole mess, and things have really been working out for him. Another great thing was Jakes brother and his wife Luisa moved out here as well, so we didn't tackle a new place all alone. That has been really fun, we have discovered some great things together!
Pregnancy is going WONDERFUL, I have been feeling so good. Getting pretty anxious for this little girl, but not anxious enough to want her to come early... yet.... Ask me in about a month. I thought I would never be able to replace my doctor in Idaho, but thankfully I happened upon a GREAT doctor and a wonderful facility, so we are excited to deliver here. Oddly enough it will be the same hospital Jake was born in, that was really ironic for us. Talk about full circle.. Anyways, we are doing great, and feel so blessed. Here are a few of our little adventures so far, with many more to come...
15 comments:
I LOVE IT!! Perfect depiction of our new life!! Boise does rock!! You're kids are the sweetest! I'm so grateful we're here to witness them and enjoy their love! Thanks for not giving up on Boise... I was so doubtful at first, and ignorant. We've had so much fun... with more fun times ahead!!
Love you guys,
Luisa
Hey guys, all I can say is it's about time you update your blog. It's fun to see the kiddos, and your new place. Still wish it was out by us, but I know you'll be out here sooner or later. We miss you guys so much, and love you tons.
karen
Wow, what a whirlwind. I can't believe you guys have moved. But I have to say I'm totally jealous. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Boise. I lived there for 1 1/2 years before I met Todd. It's an awesome place. I miss it like crazy. It still feels like home when I go over to visit my favorite aunt. I'll have to call you next time we come over. Hope your pregnancy continues to go so well for you. Love ya!
Wow! What a crazy time for you guys. My husband and I have been considering the Boise area maybe in a year or two, if you are still there maybe we'll see you!
Kate: You and Jake are my heros in so many ways! You and your indomitable spirits and your great LOVE will conquer all! Mom and I are so incredibly proud of you guys!
And it is SO great having you back on the blog. I really missed you. Great adventures; great pictures. Thanks so much for sharing this challenging, yet growing, time in your lives with us. We will now watch you soar!
--Dad
P.S. Sometimes [and this is one of them], I am reminded why you have such amazing kids: they are just like you and Jake, aren't they!
I can't help but cry Kate. I feel your pain of making such a hard decision. Its so weird to read my story from a year and half ago, and now its happened again to some I know. Its amazing how prayer, fasting and the Temple does lead you in the right direction. It worked for us, and now its worked for you. I love your house, and of course I am amazed by your kids. I'm glad the move didn't affect them in a bad way.
Hey, we are heading to Washington this summer in July. If you are in town maybe we can stop and say hello.
KATE!! I'm so sorry about last summer! We were a little lucky and got paid 'enough' in October to live on for the year...(with some loans and grants from the school of course!) Gosh...I really hated that company and the jerk that ran off with the money. But, we know Jake could never have seen that coming. Travis would follow Jake to the ends of the earth. haha! We trust and love you guys and can't wait for another adventure this summer! I think it's going to be great! Pinnacle actually DID pay us our first summer, so I don't have any doubts:) Your house is SO cute and I'm so excited for baby #4!! Hey, find me a cute apartment!! (2 bdrms is all we really need) We'll be up there in a month probably, so give us a call and we'll get together!
Love-Mandy
Kate! What an amazing Mom and Wife you are. You have had a lot on your plate...also while being pregnant and moving...and have an incredible outlook of it all. You are awesome! I am excited for your family and this new adventure!
No wonder I can't get a hold of you...you're gone! haha. Glad things are going well in Boise, looks like you've been busy and getting all settled in. Glad you're feeling well with your pregnancy! You're getting close!! Oh, and this is so random, but I feel bad but we still have a toy you let us borrow forever ago. It's one of those square dr. office type toys. I'm sorry we never got it back to you! I'll see if I can send it with Mandy and Trav, or if you guys come for a visit give us a call!! Take care!
Welcome to Boise! I am glad you like it here. We love it but then again I have lived here most of my life. Sounds like it has been crazy times but glad to hear that things are getting better. You'll have to shoot me an email it would be fun to get in contact. karahmcbride@gmail.com
You are amazing, I'm grateful to have the history we have. I know I said more in my email, just know we'll be there when you need us! Sure love you guys!
I am so glad things are working out well for you guys! Your house is absolutely darling! (I love the hardy-board, masonite style!) Well, that just gives us even more reason to go to Boise. (I've never been, but always wanted to go! Now we can go see our great friends the Perkes!)
You are such a neat family; and I admire your determination and love. Thanks for being our friends and for reminding us what is really important in life.
Good luck with this new endeavor. However, I know Jake will be successful at whatever he does!
Oh my good heavens Kate. Bless your little hearts. I wish you luck with everything. Boise is lucky to have your family. Love you guys.
33 weeks pregnent?!?! Wow, that seemed to go by speedy speedy. Can't wait to see your new addition. Take care. I'm going to make it a priority to come and see you when we come home in July.
Kate! I found your blog through Kara, hope you don't mind! Your family is adorbale and how exciting baby #4 is on the way! You will love Boise, we live just down the road in Nampa! We will have to catch up sometime, keep in touch!
Juliette
Post a Comment