Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Gingerbread challenge

We had so much fun making "real" gingerbread houses this year. I have never made gingerbread before. It was really really fun! It made the house smell like Christmas. We should have done it earlier in the month. I can't believe it is the 22nd. Where has the time gone?? Oh my goodness, it is FLYING by. We still have so much to do to get ready for the BIG day! Yikes... Anywho...

This was Nate's house. He had the perfect little house. It stayed together beautifully. But he probably could have cared the least. He actually wanted his house to fall apart. As you can see Gracie and Ben were not so lucky. Their little houses were a mess. I learned that the thinner you can roll your dough, the better. Gracie was loading her roof full of candies and the whole thing just caved. Poor girl! She was a little sad, but then, we created a new style of gingerbread house. One that was "much better" in our opinion. I love her creativity! Thank goodness for that!

Ben didn't care at all that his house caved. He just wanted something to put candy on.
The finished product... So cute...
Nates perfect little house, and he didn't even care, so I helped decorate it. haha...

Nate caught in the act... we told him NO MORE FROSTING... that is all he cared about.. and I swear he ate an entire container. He kept sucking the tip of his frosting, saying, "ohh no.. it's spilling Mom!" Yeah, that worked the first time Nate... It was obvious it was not spilling... Then he started just going straight for the back of the bag... Easier access...
Stinker.... =)

Cute Gracie was so proud of her little creation!
Keeping her eye on the prize... the frosting...
Who does she look like??
Julia had a fun night too... she had her first tast of candy cane and frosting... this was the reaction after the frosting... Yumm!

P.S. This very special "Christmas music" is a shout out to my Dad... Love you Dad!

5 comments:

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Love the photos! The fun narration! And the music! It was almost like a visit to the fun world of your home--which is always magical! You are the best Mom, Kate; you have so much fun with your precious little ones. The personality of each was so present in both your descriptions and your photos. And Julia is just so delightfully cute! Miss you all way too much!

Two more sleeps . . . MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

--Dad

Mindy said...

Very fun. The last two years we did real ones with my cousin which was really fun. But not this year. I feel kind of bad about that. I love making gingerbread men.

JC Photography said...

How fun! You are such a good mom. I love all the pics. Merry Christmas.

Mandy Jarvis said...

We did gingerbread houses for all the kids last year...this year we did one for all the kids MUCH easier! They look so cute though! Looks like fun!

Bree said...

That looks like lots of fun! I can't even remember the last time i made a gingerbread house!! We'll have to do it next year for sure! Hope you guys had a great Christmas!!