Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rocky Mountain High...Colorado...

I wanted to post this blog a week ago, but I couldn't get my pictures to work, I finally got my computer working, so here it goes.
Last Friday on the 14th was our 6th anniversary! WOW how time flies! I can't believe it has been six years! Jake wanted to be in charge this year so of course I let him. (He is so much better at surprises than me) He didn't disappoint by any means. He completely blew me away and flew my Mom in from Boston to watch our little kiddles and then he informed me that he had two days off from work to do whatever we wanted to do! I was so excited, Aspen is one of those places I have always wanted to go so I immediately thought about Aspen. Jake told me that he had not made any plans as far as hotels so we could go anywhere and do anything. Talk about a dream come true. I don't think in all the six years of doing this job has Jake ever taken off a Friday and a Saturday to just play. It was so great! So we sat down and planned out our weekend and decided that we would spend Friday in Aspen and then drive to Vail and spend Friday night there. Then on Saturday we would head to downtown Denver and go to the water park right next to the city, and then it would be our traditional anniversary dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Then we would stay in downtown Denver on Saturday night. We did just that, it was the best weekend ever. We had such a fun time exploring Colorado, we visited some of the most incredibly beautiful mountain ranges I have ever seen. We got great deals in Vail on a Hotel because it was the off season so we were able to stay in a beautiful ski resort suite for the same price as a regular hotel. When we were in downtown Denver we got this amazing deal at the Ritz Carlton. They were having a promotional weekend because of their grand opening so we got to stay there at a great price. Of course my little salesman husband talked the front desk guy into upgrading our room to a suite for free. We felt a little out of place, it was a little TOO nice but so fun to be treated like royalty. Talk about prim and proper, it was so fun to people watch and see the lifestyles of the rich and famous. However, It was really embarrassing, we actually went right from the water park to the Ritz and we were still in our bathing suits and shorts and flip flops, we felt so dumb squeekin our shoes up to the front desk. They were actually really nice and willing to still accommodate us. =) When we came down to the lobby to go to dinner the same guy didn't even recognize us because we were all dressed up, he was pretty surprised, he said, "You clean up well." cute.. It was great, the whole experience was so fun, and it was so fun to spend time with Jake and sort of leave all the stresses of life behind for a couple of days and just enjoy one another. I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Thanks Jake, and thanks MOM for making this all possible. Love you guys! Here are some pictures of Aspen, I don't know why we didn't take more of our weekend, but Aspen was definitely the most picturesque.




Jake Thinks that this is the road in Dumb and Dumber where they are barely makin it up and people are passing them like crazy. It was hard to not relate Aspen to that movie I have to admit. Thank goodness I had some John Denver background so that I could at least relate it that way! =)


We took a Gondola ride up the Mountain and it was a little freaky, but really beautiful. At the top of the mountain there was an incredible view of this really famous mountain range where the average peak was 14,000 feet! The crazy thing is people actually ski them. They call them 14ers.


The 14ers

What a Handsom Boy I married...=)

3

6 comments:

Mr and Mrs said...

Sooo cute! Happy Belated anniversay hun! It sounds like you guys had a blast and I LOVE the pics of Aspen! I am the one who is jealous of you! I would take mountains over the beach any day! Miss ya tons!

Mandy said...

I've been waiting for these pics! SO gorgeous!...and I mean you guys, not the mountains! haha! Talk to ya later!

Angie Startin said...

Oh, that sounds heavenly!! I am glad you had so much fun. It was probably so nice to be a couple without kids for a weekend.

cortney and neil said...

that sounds so fun. Neil and I's first anniversary is coming up. I hope it is half that good.

Kami P. said...

Jeleous!!! We're coming up on 6 years too! Hope ours will be just as eventful.
So I got the pictures of my hair up on my blog if you want to see. I think my hair looks better in person, but oh well.
Chow!

Mindy said...

Kate,

What an amazing husband. That is really cool that you were close enough to somewhere you wanted to go. I had forgotten it was your anniversary. 6 years. You have done a lot in 6 years.